Friday marks the official start of activities at this year’s BNP Paribas WTA Finals presented by SC Global.
Local fans can enjoy a host of activities at the Singapore Sports Hub. Many of the activities are open to the public. For those wishing to attend matches, tickets for the general public start @ S$16.90 and can be purchased through Sports Hub Tix, the official ticketing partner. In addition to the event tickets, fans in Singapore will be able to see the best tennis players in the world around the city at a number of fan-friendly initiatives throughout the 10-day event.
10 Great Fan Experiences:
1. Fan Festival is free! Packed with tennis-related activities from 11am to 8pm daily, the official Fan Festival starts on Friday, October 17 and runs through Sunday, October 26, at the OCBC Square, and is free of charge to the public. Two-time Grand Slam champion Li Na will make a special visit on Sunday, October 19, at 3:15pm., to meet fans, sign autographs and take photos with some lucky guests in attendance. For the opening three days (October 17-19), fans will also be able to discover the preparation secrets of the WTA stars at open practice sessions.
2. The draw ceremony is open to public. WTA fans who've followed the Road To Singapore all season long can attend the draw ceremony. Fans can get up close to tennis stars at the official singles draw ceremony, free and open to the public on Saturday, October 18 at 5pm at the Shoppes Skate Rink, Marina Bay Sands. The WTA's Top 8 singles players competing at this year’s WTA Finals represent eight countries - Serena Williams (USA), Maria Sharapova (RUS), Simona Halep (ROU), Petra Kvitova (CZE), Ana Ivanovic (SRB), Agnieszka Radwanska (POL), Eugenie Bouchard (CAN) and Caroline Wozniacki (DEN).
3. Double the Fun! Fans will be able to be among the first in the world to catch a glimpse of the WTA Finals Martina Navratilova Doubles Trophy at the official doubles draw ceremony on Tuesday, October 21 at the Shoppes Skate Rink, Marina Bay Sands at 11am. The trophy will be unveiled by Navratilova herself at the draw ceremony and will be awarded to the WTA Finals doubles champions. The Top 8 doubles teams competing in a single-elimination draw are Sara Errani (ITA) and Roberta Vinci (ITA), Peng Shuai (CHN) and Hsieh Su-Wei (TPE), Cara Black (ZIM) and Sania Mirza (IND), Ekaterina Makarova (RUS) and Elena Vesnina (RUS), Kveta Peschke (CZE) and Katarina Srebotnik (SLO), Raquel Kops-Jones (USA) and Abigail Spears (USA), Garbiñe Muguruza (ESP) and Carla Suárez Navarro (ESP), and Anastasia Rodionova (AUS) and Alla Kudryavtseva (RUS).
4. Watch Rising Stars play in an intimate setting: Nearly 700,000 fans voiced their opinion in the inaugural WTA Rising Stars Invitational fan vote. The competition will feature four of the next generation of players who are poised to make an impact on the WTA - Monica Puig (PUR), Shelby Rogers (USA), Zarina Diyas (KAZ) and Zheng Saisai (CHN) were selected by fan vote to compete in this showcase of young talent. The WTA Rising Stars Invitational begins on Friday, October 17 at OCBC Arena. Admission is FREE.
5. See the stars of tomorrow in Singapore! The inaugural WTA Future Stars U14 and U16 Junior Road to Singapore will feature up-and-coming players from 12 Asia-Pacific countries. On Monday, October 20, during the WTA Future Stars trophy ceremony, Li will meet the WTA Future Stars and pass the racket to the next generation. Admission is free for fans attending matches at the Kallang Tennis Center.
6. Download the free Official WTA Finals App. Created by SAP, the official WTA Finals mobile app is available for download at the Apple App Store and Google Play, providing fans around the world with access to exclusive content, news feeds, live polls, statistics, player profiles and photos, along with ticketing and tournament information. The app also allows fans to join the interactive Fan Zone, getting venue and stadium information while staying up to date on all the information.
7. Plenty of Li Na! Yes, you can see Li Na at the opening ceremony on Monday, October 20 at 7pm. That same day, Li will also greet WTA Future Stars winners in a trophy presentation at the conclusion of the Future Stars Final. She'll also appear at the SAP Social Media Wall on Sunday, October 19.
8. Arrive early for the opening ceremony on Monday, October 20 as Fiur Productions, one of the top producers of live event spectaculars, television specials and theatrical productions brings the On Top of the World Experience to fans. The opening ceremony will feature dynamic multimedia lighting, video and a laser show featuring performances by the 80-member strong Singapore Symphony Childrens Choir, Singapore's own show-stopping arts percussion group Urban Drum Crew, and a live musical performance by the international break-out pop group Us the Duo. Global tennis icon Li Na will hit the ceremonial first ball at the WTA Finals Opening Ceremony. Prior to the opening ceremony, Martina Navratilova and Marion Bartoli will play against Tracy Austin and Iva Majoli in a WTA Legends match at 5:30pm.
9. Catch up with Legends! WTA Legends Martina Navratilova, Tracy Austin, Marion Bartoli and Iva Majoli will take the court in the WTA Legends Classic, playing doubles matches on Monday, October 20, Wednesday, October 22, and Thursday, October 23. In addition, fans will get the chance to see tennis greats like Billie Jean King, Chris Evert, Li Na and Mary Pierce, who will visit the Fan Festival throughout the week.
10. Watch local entertainers shine! Throughout the event, Fiur Productions will direct the on-court entertainment showcasing Singaporean talent with daily pre-match performances by local acts such as a cappella groups Acapuccino and NANU, B-boy action by Radikal Forze, juggling acts by Circus In Motion, as well as musical and dance performances by the likes of Guerilla Collective, Sri Warisan and Bloco Singapura. Local freestyle football group Urban Street Team will also be wowing fans with their skills as part of the sport entertainment excitement, while DJ Mathias Schell will provide in-arena music throughout the tournament.